According to Dr. Joseph Mercola (who has the largest, most popular health information site on the Internet)10% of North Americans suffer from episodes of depression and 11% of persons over 12 years old take antidepressants.
More and more studies show that these drugs do NOT help in eliminating depression and, in fact, there are a ton of health issues--some very threatening ones--that pose as "side effects" of taking antidepressants. The 'issues' you want to be aware of are:
- thickened arteries that can contribute to increased risk of heart attack and stroke
- Celexa was removed from the market because of abnormal heart rhythms as a result of taking it
- menopausal women in a large study were shown to have 45% more risk of stroke than women not taking antidepressants and SSRIs (and 32% greater risk of death while taking these drugs)
- Other dangerous side effects of antidepressants include: self-harm, violence, suicidal and homicidal tendencies, Type II diabetes, brittle bones, stillbirths, immune problems, going from unipolar depression to the more complex diagnosis of bipolar disorder, and cognitive decline with long-term use
- There are several methods of dealing with depression that are at least as successful as most of the antidepressant, SSRI routes. Dr. Nedley's Depression Recovery Program is one example of a comprehensive holistic approach to overcoming depression. My older son, a teacher, is currently meeting with Dr. John Ratley, MD and researcher at Harvard. Dr. Ratley's book "SPARK" shows how daily exercise can improve learning, social skills, and help to level depression. If you are struggling with depression, please check out these alternatives to pharmaceutical drugs with your health care provider.
Fresh, healthful vitamin-packed Juices are a fantastic addition to any detox or health improvement diet. You don't need a fancy juicer... a Blender and a Juicerless Nut Mylk Bag will do the trick! Find some great Nut Mylk and Juicerless recipes here.