If you love chili (and who doesn't?) this Walnut- Black Bean Chili Bowl is the best way to enjoy chili-- with all the various garnishings built right in as part of the meal. It is a vegan whole-food, plant-based meal that your microbiota will just love-- that will spark up and maintain good immunity as well as build a good foundation for your future health. The Cacao (or unsweetened Cocoa) powder provides an authentic and delectable flavour that takes the edge off the more acidic ingredients.
|Walnut-Black Bean Chili Bowl-- the chili is almost totally obscured by all the garnishes...|
- Quinoa (as per instructions on the box)
- 2 C. Walnuts chopped fine (in food processor or by hand)
- 1 1/2 T. choice of Cooking Oil, or Water, or Vegetable Broth
- 1 large Yellow Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Chipotle Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 tsp. Salt
- 2- 14.5 oz. cans Diced Tomatoes
- 3 1/2 C. Water or Vegetable BrothC
- 2 tsp. Cacao Powder or Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1 large Sweet Potato, diced
- 2- 14.5 oz. Black Beans
- GARNISHES: Chopped Cilantro, Chopped Romaine Lettuce, Sliced Black Olives, Sliced Avocado, Daiya Cheese Shreds, Cashew Sour Cream, Chipotle Salsa
- Cook Quinoa as per box instructions (4 - 6 servings). Keep warm.
- Toast Walnuts in a dry frying pan, stirring regularly, for about 4 minutes. Set aside.
- Cook Onion, Garlic, Bell Pepper for a few minutes on medium heat.
- Stir in the Spices and Salt
- Add in the Tomatoes, added Water, Cacao, and Sweet Potatoes on Medium-Low
- When potatoes are tender, add in Black Beans and Walnuts. Stir. Remove from heat.
- Put quinoa in the bowl and top with Chili. Add other garnishes as required. Enjoy!